This means that we will:
- Apply high animal welfare standards in relation to the housing and environmental enrichment, care, use and transportation of animal.
- Use purpose-bred animals as far as possible, only genetically modified animals when they constitute a superior model for human disease and avoid using great apes in our research
- Review animal models on a continuous basis using the principles of replacement, refinement, and reduction of animals to enhance animal welfare
- Ensure that all employees working with animals have appropriate and documented education and training
- Ensure animal welfare and timely treatment of ailments by laboratory animal veterinary staff
- Monitor that research organisations working on our behalf, as well as suppliers of animals, live up to our ethical standards
- Subject our animal research policy and procedures to periodic legal and ethical review by the Animal Care and Use Committee.