Lundbeck is a global pharmaceutical company highly committed to improving the quality of life of people living with brain disease. For this purpose, Lundbeck is engaged in the research, development, production, marketing and sale of pharmaceuticals across the world. The company’s products are targeted at diseases such as depression and anxiety, psychotic disorders, epilepsy and Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
According to the World Health Organization, WHO, more than 700 million cases of brain disease are reported every year. These are serious and life-threatening diseases that affect the quality of life of patients as well as of their relatives.
As these diseases also involve major socio-economic costs, it is imperative for society as a whole that new and innovative pharmaceuticals are developed. Over the past 50 years, new pharmaceuticals have revolutionised treatment options, but there is still a great unmet need for new and innovative therapeutics.
Research and development
Lundbeck is one of Denmark’s most research-intensive enterprises. We employ more than 1,300 highly-trained specialists in our research and development units. Each year, Lundbeck ploughs back around 20% of its revenue into research and development of new pharmaceuticals to improve treatment options for the millions of people around the world living with brain disease.
Lundbeck markets a number of different pharmaceuticals for the treatment of brain diseases. The most recently launched compounds include: Brintellix® (depression), Cipralex/Lexapro® (depression), Abilify Maintena® (schizophrenia), Selincro® (alcohol dependence), Northera™ (symptomatic neurogenic orthostatic hypotension), Azilect® (Parkinson’s disease), Xenazine® (chorea associated with Huntington's disease), Sabril® (epilepsy) and Onfi® (Lennox-Gastaut syndrome).
Lundbeck employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide, 2,000 of whom are based in Denmark. We have employees in 57 countries, and our products are registered in more than 100 countries. We have production facilities in China, Denmark, France and Italy and research centres in Denmark, China and the United States. Lundbeck generated core revenue of approximately DKK 13.5 billion in 2014.
Lundbeck’s Executive Management consists of three members, headed by Kåre Schultz, President and CEO.
More information about Executive Management
In 2014, 37% of our revenue derived from Europe, 28% from the US and 31% from the International Markets region.
More information about markets (click the Revenue distribution tab)
Lundbeck was founded by Hans Lundbeck as a trading company in 1915. Since then the company has evolved and grown dramatically. Today we are among the biggest Danish companies. In 2015, Lundbeck can celebrate its 100th anniversary. During the past century, millions of people have been treated with our therapies. It is complex and challenging to develop improved treatments for brain disease, but we keep our focus: There is still so much we need to achieve in the next 100 years to ensure a better life for people living with brain disease.
In 1999, Lundbeck’s shares were listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange. The Lundbeck Foundation, which annually distributes around DKK 400-500 million in grants for various types of research each year, owns about 70% of the shares in Lundbeck, while the remaining 30% are traded on the stock exchange.