Senior Manager, Benefits
505 - Human Resources
Senior Manager, Benefits
No company knows the brain better. Lundbeck is uncompromisingly committed to the research, development and delivery of targeted therapies for people living with significant psychiatric and neurological disorders. At Lundbeck, we believe life is too beautiful to be interrupted by brain disorders. So, we pursue imaginative solutions, driven by passionate people committed to do the right thing for our patients, our company and our communities. Lundbeck strives to be a leader in depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
For Lundbeck, making a meaningful difference for patients is more than an aspiration: it is a commitment that shapes everything we do. Our advocacy for patients isn’t an invented “company value” – it is at the core of who we are and motivates every individual at Lundbeck. Our ongoing engagement with patient communities is not what you might expect from a pharmaceutical company – we create our own programs to help patients and caregivers not simply manage their conditions but thrive in spite of them.
The Senior Manager, Benefits is responsible for leading and managing the design, implementation, communication, performance and administration of the comprehensive Lundbeck US/NA Health & Welfare Benefit Plans and other HR operational programs. This individual works in alignment with HR objectives and company strategy to benchmark, recommend, customize, and implement programs, with focus on employee advocacy, and continuous assessment and improvement.
To be successful initially and long-term, the Senior Manager, Benefits is expected to take ownership of our Benefits approach, learn our culture and processes, drive to make impact, and contribute proactively and enthusiastically to the success of the HR team and Company. This individual manages one direct report.
The major areas of focus for the incumbent in this role are:
- Medical (incl. Rx)
- STD / LTD
- Life Insurance (Basic & Voluntary/Supplemental)
- AD&D Insurance
- Health Savings & Flex Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Leave Management and Administration
- PTO (Vacation/Holiday/Sick/Personal)
- New Hire Orientation / Employee Experience
- Education Assistance / Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Club Reimbursement
- Wellness program/activities
- Workers Compensation
The incumbent in this role will work to ensure our employee programs:
- Are effective, competitive and compliant
- Align with the strategy of our business and support Lundbeck’s Shared Beliefs, and
- Support our goal to attract, retain, recognize, reward, engage and motivate our employees
Leadership/Management of Benefit Programs
- Manages and advances Benefits direction and programs to align with business strategy, and ensures the right mix and offerings are available to attract and retain desired talent.
- Manages overall Health and Welfare and retirement function and responsibilities. Acts as lead in making sure program set-ups include efficient resolution of any problems, escalations, corrections, claims or appeals. Leads Health & Welfare annual open enrollment.
- Plays lead role in plan renewals, evaluating trends/cost and proposing potential plan redesign options.
- Leads all facets of Lundbeck’s 401(k) retirement program, including providing direction and guidance to the Company’s 401(k) Committee.
- Helps ensure leadership, line managers and employees understand Benefit programs, Reward programs, and other related HR programs. Provides input, oversight, guidance, support and influence where appropriate. Educates, updates, informs, trains and partners with full HR team as it relates to Benefits/Rewards offerings.
- Partners and provides input/expertise to internal groups (e.g.; Payroll, Finance, Legal) in the administration, interpretation and communication of policies and programs.
- Partners and acts as contact with Benefits broker on all benefit issues, including monthly and annual review of health Benefits, costing, and plan design changes.
- Partners in developing and implementing a comprehensive communication strategy for Benefits programs.
- Evaluates, recommends and implements improvements to internal Benefits processes.
- Performs responsibilities as a balanced advocate for employees and Company.
- Acts as primary lead for all Benefits related compliance activities and ensures compliance with all benefit laws and regulations.
- Plays lead role in managing and updating the Summary Plan Descriptions for all Benefit Plans.
- Manages the 5500 process, the 1095 tax reporting process and other required compliance tests. Coordinates activities with all appropriate internal and external parties.
- Ensures compliance of plans as governed by Health Care Reform, ERISA, IRS and DOL.
- Ensures company is current and compliant on applicable laws/state leave programs.
- Supports audit process for all benefit plans, including annual 401(k) plan audit.
- Ensures all plans (qualified, non-qualified, defined contribution) are accurately administered in accordance with plan documents and applicable regulations.
- Manages and streamlines Benefits policy documentation and practice.
Leaves of Absence and Time Off: Policies and Practices
- Recommends and oversees Company’s leave of absence policies and practices, including FMLA, USERRA, state mandated leaves, parental leaves, personal leaves and situational leaves.
- Provides guidance on FMLA/ADA/personal and parental leave policies, ensuring consistent application and compliant administration with all state and federal regulations.
- Develops time-off and paid time off policies in partnership with HR and Company leadership.
Benchmarking, Analytics and Assessment
- Continually reviews, assesses and benchmarks Benefits offerings, programs, and technologies. Owns Benefits related benchmarking survey practice, data gathering and analysis of competitive market and trends to understand competitive market.
- Understands internal culture and employee population with intention to deliver most impactful, relevant and valued offerings. Monitors and analyzes Benefit Plans usage, service, coverage, effectiveness, cost, and plan experience.
- Develops and manages scorecard and dashboard reporting of Health & Welfare Plans. Provides specific recommendations based on trends, value, utilization and analysis.
- Acts as lead HR liaison with Finance to manage and participate in the process for Benefits forecasting, budgeting and monthly plan costs. Processes and monitors Benefits related invoices. In partnership with Finance, assures all Benefits spend is accounted correctly.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities to improve.
Broker/Third Party Solutions and Partners
- Manages broker, vendors and third party solution provider relationships. Prepares and executes, with legal and Sourcing consultation, insurance and third party vendor contracts ensuring accordance and service delivery consistent with contract terms.
- Plays lead role in vendor/broker Benefits relationship, including: defining and monitoring measures, parameters, expectations, content and performance of external partners; ensuring effective service delivery; participating in contract renewals and negotiations; providing specialized support and ongoing training to Employee Resource Center; and providing direction on non-routine situations.
- Acts as primary liaison to ensure optimal vendor efficiencies are created and used
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and SKILLS:
- Accredited Bachelor’s Degree
- Subject matter expert in Health & Welfare plan design and administration, including in-depth knowledge of medical and Rx program management
- 8+ years progressive Benefits experience
- 5+ years demonstrated successful experience developing, shaping and managing employee benefit programs (e.g., medical, dental, vision, retirement, insurance, disability)
- Ability to balance employee advocacy and Company responsibility
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply appropriate provisions of applicable laws, ordinances, policies, rules, regulations, and memoranda of understanding
- Well versed in pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements (i.e., including ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, IRS, ADA, Section 125 regulations, 5500, Health Care Reform, Workers Compensation, Medicare, Social Security, DOL)
- Clear, precise and effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to deal WITH benefits/personal matters in a confidential, objective and professional manner
- Ability to handle sensitive information and exercise sound judgment. High degree of professionalism.
- Results driven with ability to operate independently and proactively
- Proven ability to establish rapport and work across all levels of organization and cultivate relationships to include Legal, Finance and Senior Management
- Proficient with overall Microsoft Office suite. Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Ability to drive multiple projects simultaneously with regularly adjusting priorities
- Proven analytic and business skills. Demonstrated ability to draw conclusions and trends from data analysis and offer appropriate solutions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Industry designations (CEBS, PHR, etc.)
- Experience working with and benching Life Sciences/Specialty Pharmaceutical Organizations
- Experience with managing Benefit broker relationship
- Experience with SuccessFactors, BenefitFocus, and/or ADP Payroll
- Experience forecasting impact and cost of new or enhanced Benefits programs
- Experience partnering with vendors and optimizing vendor relationships
- Familiarity/Experience with Benefit Programs and offerings in Canada
- Willingness/Ability to travel typically 10-15% domestically; plus International travel to our Corporate Headquarters (Copenhagen, Denmark) may be warranted once per year